This work instruction defines a Materials Manager job description that will direct and coordinate activities of personnel engaged in purchasing and distributing raw materials, equipment, machinery, and supplies in organizations by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
This work instruction applies to the Materials Manager job description with Company, Sycamore.
- Prepares instructions regarding purchasing systems and procedures.
- Support and implement Corporate and SCM initiatives.
- Directs the preparation of the issuance of purchase orders and change notices.
- Analyzes market and delivery conditions to determine present and future material availability and prepares market analysis reports.
- Reviews purchase order claims and contracts for conformance to company policy.
- Arranges for disposal of surplus materials.
- Design and develops systems and procedures to implement purchasing, production scheduling, inventory control and traffic which assures the availability of parts, materials and transportation for an uninterrupted flow of materials for production in accordance with “Just-In-Time” delivery schedules, while maintaining minimum inventories.
- Formulates, establishes and administers plant purchasing procedures which are consistent with and supplement established corporate and division policies and procedures.
- Develops procedures and requirements for parts suppliers to improve timeliness of parts and materials delivery.
- Provides for the maintenance of purchased materials and supplies in inventories to assure the availability of materials and parts required fulfilling the plant’s ongoing need for these parts.
- Sets guidelines and follows up with suppliers to improve the efficie3ncy of suppliers to provide cost savings while maintaining the even flow of raw materials necessary to produce the finished product for our customer.
- Assists in the development of inventory budgets for the purpose of establishing acceptable in inventory levels upon which performance can be measure and operating controls effected. Provides guidance to plant personnel for the management of inventories at approved operating levels.
- Develops procedures to handle engineering changes during the model year for the plant, suppliers and customer to provide for orderly transition in the flow of materials and production.
- Assists Plant Engineering and Plant Quality Manager in the vendor Quality Assurance Program. Assists as required in resolving the disposition of substandard or rejected materials.
- Develops procedures to handle changes in product in order to coordinate the change in parts and materials within the plant system, with suppliers and with customer, to insure timely start-up of production. Insures supplies are delivered on time to provide uninterrupted production and shipment of finished goods.
- Effectively adapts and implements computer technology in developing orderly manufacture and on-time delivery of the plant’s product.
- Responsible to adhere to and promote all HSE &E policies and procedures.
Directly supervised the Team Members in the Materials Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
(Other duties may be assigned.)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must me able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B..A.) or equivalent; or four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amount such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Strong computer skills with full understanding of software programs.
The Materials Manager reports to the Plant Manager
The Materials Manager job description is stored by the Human Resources Department.